Easter Camping in Kwazulu-Natal
Kwazulu-Natal has spectacular mountains ranges, miles and miles of golden beaches and some of the best game reserves in the country, so why not pick this province as a destination for your Easter camping trip?
It’s beautiful scenery throughout the province and enchanting Drakensberg Mountains makes Kwazulu-Natal the perfect place to celebrate this holiday with your family.
Now what is Easter without Hot-Cross buns! – So here is an Easter Classic that you can pack up and take with you on your camping trip.
Recipe for Hot Cross Buns
• 4 tsp dried yeast
• 55g caster sugar
• 250ml warm milk
• 600g plain flour
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 60g butter
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 125ml warm water
• 110g currants
• 40g mixed peel
• 1 tbsp apricot jam, warmed & sieved
• Flour paste
• 75g plain flour
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 80ml water
- Combine the yeast, sugar and milk in a bowl and whisk until yeast is dissolved. Cover the bowl and stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until the mixture is frothy.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl and rub in the butter. Stir in the yeast mixture, egg, water and fruit until well combined. Cover and stand the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour or until the mixture has doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide into 16 and knead into balls.
- Place the dough balls on 2 greased baking trays. Stand in a warm place for about 20 minutes until the dough has risen.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- To make the paste, combine the flour and sugar in a bowl, blend in the water and stir until smooth. Pipe crosses onto the buns using a piping bag with a small plain nozzle.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 180°C and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Turn the buns onto a wire rack and, while still warm, brush with the jam.